|Finding the Right Gym For You|
The following question was answered by Doug Balzarini, BS, CSCS, ACE-certified personal trainer at Fitness Quest 10.
I just moved to the area, how do I choose a gym that’s right for me?
I have come up with 8 tips to help you in your gym choice.
1. Location: find a gym that is convenient for you; either close to work or home.
2. Hours: depending on when you exercise, confirm the gym is open at that time.
3. Members: take a tour during the actual hours you will typically exercise to get a good feel of the members (younger, older, athletes, etc) and how busy it is at that time.
4. Staff: if working with a personal trainer, make sure they are educated, experienced, and certified.
5. Cleanliness: during your tour check machines, bathrooms, towels, etc for cleanliness.
6. Equipment: check to see that machines are clean and operating. Dust build-up, rust, frayed cables are all signs of neglect.
7. Classes: get a class schedule and ask if you can try out a class that you might enjoy.
8. Fees: of course fitting exercise into your budget is paramount. Shop around to find a gym that you can afford.